Carrot cake financiers with cream cheese frosting and chocolate crumble

by - Tuesday, December 20, 2016

As simple as the carrot cake may be, it's one of my favorite recipes.
I could eat it at any time of the year. Although for me it tastes best during the cold winter season because of the rather strong cinnamon flavor it has, which simply reminds me of Christmas.
With this recipe I made one of the classic cakes into something a little fancier and turning it into more of a French inspired patisserie in the form of a financier which is like a mini version.


I don't quite remember where this recipe originally came from. I just know that I got it from my sister years ago and since then it has always been my go-to recipe for carrot cake. This cake is wonderfully moist and full of flavor that you could almost leave out the frosting. But as a pastry chef I must give my cakes a nice finish and try to present them as I would to my customers. And I try to experiment around with decorating styles.


I have a huge passion for French patisserie so many of my pastries do lean towards that style.
For me it is one of the most beautiful patisserie styles there are, in the presentation of the as well as in the flavors. When I feel like I need to get inspired again my favorite thing is to just book my next trip to Paris and have a Pastry filled weekend hopping from one Patisserie to the next ;)


Carrot Cake:

285g flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2g salt
3-4 tsp. cinnamon
300g sugar
345g peeled and grated carrots
245ml sunflower oil
5g vanilla extract
4 eggs

Instructions:

Combine the dry ingredients together (flour, cinnamon and baking powder).
Peel and grate the carrots into small and fine pieces. (The smaller the carrots the moister the cake will be)
Meanwhile beat the sugar, eggs, salt and vanilla until thick, light and fluffy.
Slowly add in the oil in a slow stream while still whisking on a medium speed. Once combined add the dry ingredients and on low speed mix until everything is evenly combined and lump free.
By hand mix in the grated carrots.
Pour the batter into your prepared grease baking mould or individual moulds.
Bake at 180°C for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown and fluffy to the touch.

Cream cheese frosting:

400g cream cheese (Philadelphia)
400g whipping cream (35% Fat)
140g Powdered sugar
1 vanilla pod

Instructions:

Combine the cream cheese, vanilla and the powdered sugar into a bowl fitted with the whisk and mix till you have a smooth and creamy consistency. Slowly add the cream a little at a time and whip till you have a thickened cream like consistency that has stiff peaks.
You can put the frosting into a piping bag fitted with any nozzle that you prefer or just spread it onto your cake.

Chocolate Crumble:

185g butter, cold/cubed
345g flour
20g cacao powder
140g powdered sugar
pinch of salt
45g ground almonds
2 eggs

Instructions:

Place the butter, powdered sugar and salt into a bowl fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix till combined but not fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time mixing after each addition until combined and smooth. Lastly add in the flour, cacao powder and the ground almonds. Mix quickly till everything is just combined. Wrap the dough tightly in transparent foil and let it rest in the fridge for about 1 hr.
Roll out the dough to about 3 mm thick and place on a baking tray. Bake at 180°C for about 15 Minutes. Let the dough cool down and then break into desired pieces.

The dough is also good as a tart base--coming up in the next post ;)

Carrot cake in a French patisserie inspired style.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram